Advocating for responsible
tech in your organization
When a feature launch or key deliverable is on the line, the last thing a product team wants to do is slow down – even when there might be a problem. In the face of breakneck deadlines and competing stakeholder priorities, how can you assess the impact of your work and advocate for a more intentional, ethical approach to technology development?
We know tech products have real consequences in the world. Designers and builders like you are increasingly at the forefront of a shift toward more responsible technology. Yet generating awareness and conversation around tech ethics in an organization can feel like an uphill battle, full-time job, and unchartered territory all rolled into one. That’s why Omidyar Network and Artefact partnered to create the Ethical Explorer Pack, a toolkit to help individuals and teams build technology that’s safer, healthier, fairer, and more inclusive for all.
In this webinar, Sarah Drinkwater, Director of Beneficial Technology at Omidyar Network, and Hannah Hoffman, Design Director at Artefact, share the thinking behind the Ethical Explorer Pack and how you can use the toolkit in a variety of situations during the product development life cycle. Download the free toolkit and learn how to advocate for more responsible tech in your organization, no matter your role.
Check out the resources shared by attendees below, and be sure to sign up for our Impact by Design event series to keep the conversation going.
- The Ellen Macarthur Foundation Circular Design Toolkit
- Creative Reaction Lab’s Field Guide: Equity-Centered Community Design
- All Tech is Human’s Guide to Responsible Tech
- Sarah Drinkwater’s article: The responsible tech movement is held back because we don’t know what to call it
- The work of Ekene Ijeoma, an artist and founder/director of Poetic Justice at MIT Media Lab
- Articles of association between designers, human beings and technology from Reading Design