Lead Industrial Designer
At Artefact, we believe industrial design cannot exist in a vacuum. Each connected device – from your couch to your fitness bracelet, the hospital room to your wallet – demands we think about connected experiences. The shape and form of our design impacts the object’s meaning as much as the underlying software architecture and the services that can be built on top of it. In a sense, this “Post-Industrial Design” becomes the ultimate platform on which to build tangible experiences that connect the physical and digital worlds.
As a lead industrial designer you will work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment with researchers, developers, and interaction designers, facilitating thinking within the context of design in the 21st Century. Designers at Artefact are hands-on with both project deliverables and client relationships, and set an example for team members with their dedication to maintaining the highest level of quality.
If you believe in a broad definition of design, one that incorporates both the physical and digital landscapes, if you exhibit versatility in your portfolio, blending ID with IxD, if you are interested in how products behave and fit into a larger ecosystem, and if you can help guide our clients and creatives to an elevated solution, then we should connect.
Make an Impact:
- Drive industrial design quality across projects
- Define design principles and visions for projects
- Guide and collaborate on, projects’ creative direction and execution, utilizing life experiences, colleagues, clients, and their customers for input
- Lead by example and show an exceptional eye for detail in the creation of world class product experiences
- Conceive and build or direct extraordinary models, mechanisms, frameworks, storyboards, sketches and prototypes as needed to best serve project needs
- Collaborate closely with peers at Artefact, including Research, Interaction, Visual and Industrial Design and Software Engineering
- Define and communicate ongoing project expectations with teams
- Plan and run effective client workshops and client stakeholder meetings
- Facilitate effective decision-making with clients
- Manage client relationships either independently or in partnership with an executive design director
- Create and communicate complete project plans
- Adjust project plans as the needs of the project change
- Identify new business leads for Artefact
- Support and lead business development activities
- Seven or more years of design experience in a consulting or in-house environment, working primarily on technology products
- Undergraduate or graduate level degree in Industrial Design
- A compelling portfolio representing breadth and depth of work
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and defend an informed point of view
- Track record of translating program objectives into innovative design solutions
- Fluent in 2D and 3D software design tools
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Artefact is a design and innovation firm that uses strategy, human-centered design and technology to advance meaningful change. For our clients. For people. For society.